Call for FREE consultation 516-485-4888 516-485-4888

Out of State Drivers : Don’t Pay Your Ticket!

Your insurance cost can be affected by paying an out of state ticket.   Most states will report a conviction for an out of state moving violation on your driving record.    For example, if a New Jersey license and pays a New York speeding ticket, the conviction and points will appear on the New Jersey driving record.  Changes on your driving record can result in increased insurance rates, suspension and other consequences.

Confirm that your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles reports out of state convictions on its driving records. By your state, I mean the state your license was issued in and/or the state in which your vehicle is insured.  If out of state moving violations are reported, you should seriously consider fighting the ticket to avoid increased insurance premiums and other adverse consequences.

You can hire a local traffic defense attorney to fight your ticket(s) for you.   In New York, most traffic courts will permit an attorney to handle your case. You don’t have to attend court.

If you fail to respond to an out of state ticket, your driving privileges can be suspended. All states honor each other’s suspensions. The out of state suspension will come home to haunt you. If your driving privileges are suspended, you will be listed on the National Driver Registry.   Your State’s Department of Motor Vehicles is connected to the National Driver Registry.  If you are listed on the National Driver Registry, your application to renew or apply for a license will be denied.  For example, if my license is suspended in New York, I will be unable to renew my Florida license or get a license in any other state.

Eventually, the suspension will find its way to your home state. It is illegal to drive with a suspended license.  Driving with a suspended license can result in the driver being arrested, charged with a crime, sentenced to jail and fines.

Commercial driver’s license holders should fight all “serious” moving and “major” violations to avoid a suspension known as “disqualification”. Your commercial driver’s license will be suspended if you are convicted of two “serious” traffic infractions within three years.   A “serious” traffic infraction is defined as reckless driving, speeding, following too closely, unsafe lane change, etc., while driving a commercial motor vehicle.   If convicted of a “major” violation, such as driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, leaving the scene of an accident, etc., you will be disqualified for a year for a first offense.   In addition, this information will be recorded on the Commercial Driver’s License Information System which all states are connected to.

Contact the Attorney